[San Antonio, TEXAS, October 2022—] Pete Broderick, one of Texas’ leading real estate attorneys, has joined Merit as general counsel.
“Pete’s extensive real estate expertise and experience will provide Merit a competitive advantage in our accelerated growth trajectory,” said Will Collins, Merit’s Co-Chief Executive Officer. “The depth and breadth of transactions Pete has led across Texas and the U.S. bring wisdom that increases our opportunity for success while mitigating risk,” said Ryan Harrison, Merit’s Co-Chief Executive Officer.
Prior to joining Merit, Pete was a partner in the San Antonio office of Jackson Walker and, before that, was a partner at Cox Smith and its successor, Dykema. Listed in the Best Lawyers in America each year since 2009, Pete was named that publication’s Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate Law in San Antonio in 2022. He also received an Outstanding Lawyer Award from the San Antonio Business Journal in 2018.
“I am incredibly excited to join the Merit team” said Broderick. “From our first conversation, I realized Will and Ryan’s vision and values aligned perfectly with my own. With our unwavering commitment to excellence and delivering the best possible results for our clients and partners, I am looking forward to helping us become the premier real estate investment firm in San Antonio and South Texas.”
Pete graduated cum laude from Trinity University with a B.A. in Business Administration and Economics and received his Juris Doctorate degree from The University of Texas at Austin School of Law.
During his 35 years in real estate law, Pete has led legal teams on many transformative projects, including:
· Acquisition of the project site for Toyota’s San Antonio Manufacturing Plant and negotiating incentives
· Acquisition of the CPS Energy headquarters buildings
· Conversion of Austin’s antiquated Palmer Auditorium into the Long Center for the Performing Arts
· San Marcos Embassy Suites Hotel and Conference Center
· Representation of Frost Bank in the public-private partnership that led to the sale of the existing tower to the City of San Antonio and construction of the new Frost Bank Tower
· Representation of the Village of Bee Cave in the incentive and entitlement package that led to
the construction of the Hill Country Galleria
· Development of the entitlement process and controls for the Circle C and Steiner Ranch Developments in Austin, covering approximately 7,000 acres in the aggregate
A graduate of Leadership San Antonio, Pete has been involved in numerous civic endeavors. He serves on the board of directors of Centro San Antonio and was the Board Chair for that organization in 2022. In addition, he sits on the local ULI chapter’s Founder’s Council and previously served as a mentor in its mentorship program. He is a past board member of SNIPSA and former board member and past Chairman of the Board of Respite Care of San Antonio.
Merit is a tenant-focused real estate firm, based in San Antonio. Merit’s team of industry experts provides investment, development, and brokerage services in markets across Texas.